debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

The Girl in the Ice: A gripping serial killer thriller (Detective Erika Foster crime thriller novel Book 1) - Robert Bryndza

First off, excellent cover!! It certainly drew me to this book, the first book in the Erika Foster series. Now the question is "There are four other books in this series, where have you been?" I'm not sure the answer to that question, but I can truthfully say that I am glad that I finally caught on to it.

Erika Foster is not your normal police detective (who is?). She's been involved several times where those around her were hurt during a case, namely, her husband who died on her last one. A fact that follows Erika to her new post. Of course, there is an A$$hole there who has problems with women cops on his team. And, because of her past, her reputation, while great in getting the job done, has left several people hurt, injured or dead in her past. A fact that did leave her with a precarious resume as to whether, as a woman, she could actually perform her duties.

I just love it when a woman is constantly chastised and criticized because she is a woman by egotistical (for absolutely no reason) man. A man who hates being one upped by a woman and will not even fathom looking at or considering her ideas because she is a woman. Yet the real problem here for this man is because she's smarter, way smarter, than him. Of course, not in his mind. And, always, always, always, that idiot is shown for what he really is just by doing his job "the way he thinks it should be done".

It also seemed to me that management had chosen Erika to be on their team so that they could bully her and ruin her career forever, while looking for a scapegoat in order not to clear this case properly. Erika hit resistance everywhere she went in this book. Suspensions, lies, and unsubstantiated or unreal facts were just part of her everyday life while working in this new job.

Even though there are a lot of sidetracks and wrong turns that the department is making Erika take against her will, she will and does come to the bottom of this thriller.

One that kept me spellbound and had me fist pumping at the end that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Kudos to the author and thanks to Grand Central Publishing and Net Galley for providing me with a
free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.