debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell - Robert Dugoni

I have read many books in the Tracy Crosswhite series and loved them all. Naturally, when I saw Robert Dugoni's name on this book, I didn't even read the description, I just pressed request. Hello, it's Robert Dugoni, has he ever written a bad one? (Not that I know of or have read.)

I remember sitting down to read this book, knowing it would be an excellent mystery, suspense. Boy, was I wrong. As I started reading it, however, I was emphatically absorbed in this life of Sam Hill, the boy with red eyes who everyone called "Devil Boy". I was about 77% through (Chapter 27) when I looked up and thought to myself "Robert Dugoni wrote this?". Amazing!! I did not even miss the mystery or suspense I was expecting. I was too busy shedding happy and sad tears and loving reading about Sam Hill's journey. And what a journey it was!

Because I always like to know myself, I will say that there were some religious connotations which can sometimes bother me if it's on and on. However, in this instance, I didn't have a problem with any of them. Sam Hill went to a Catholic school and his mother was a very devout Catholic. Of course, there are going to be some religious parts in the story. However, it wasn't hellfire and brimstone with lots of pages of the gospel. Their religion did play a big part in the story, the mother was always reaching for her rosary, it was just a part of her like anything else, like a tic, a habit.

There were also a few sex scenes that were said and done. There was nothing lasting for pages and pages at a time. The scenes were written to help the reader understand just how awkward and behind this very smart boy and then man, was with all this "love stuff". So, nothing fifty shades of anything going on.

An excellent read that I tore through and absolutely loved.

The author did a tremendous job with the characters and the portrayal of this boy with the red eyes who was born with an unfortunate, predestined future of ridicule and scorn. One which also included changing his name from Sam Hill to Sam Hell in order to mock him. A boy who grew up to be better than everyone else in the book. A true, honest human with lots of empathy and compassion.

Giant kudos to the author and thanks to Lake Union Publishing and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.