debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

Unbury Carol: A Novel - Josh Malerman

Oh Dwight, Dwight, Dwight, you money grubbing A$$hole! I could not wait to see what happens to you!!

This was a story told from the days when they used to put a bell in the coffins just in case they were still alive and woke up later.

Carol Evers is normally a regular woman until she lapses into a coma that is indistinguishable from death during high stress. This phenomenon has happened to her several times in the past. Only two people, besides herself, know of this condition, her A$$hole husband, Dwight, who married her for her money and her ex-husband, James Moxie, who is currently living at the other end of the trail and is summoned to help save Carol.

I thought this was a very original concept and very cleverly written. The author did a great job setting up the scene in this book. A land of olden days with dirt streets, wooden sidewalks (maybe) and old time wood buildings. The scene was set on land consisting of several cities along a "trail". The length of which takes two days on horseback to make. There are coaches with horses, local saloons and the ever present whorehouses which make up the rest of this backdrop. One which really gave me a feel for the old time westerns I've seen in the past.

The feelings and thoughts of these characters were a hoot. Especially Dwight. What a simple mind he was with an ego the size of Texas. Smoke was another character that was definitely out there.

I found this to be sort of, okay, crazy hokey, but it worked. I thought it was very entertaining and sped right through it.

Thanks to Random House Ballantine and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.