debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

The Girls in the Picture: A Novel - Melanie Benjamin

I chose this book to request because I didn't really know a lot about the early days of the film industry and I thought it would be interesting to see it from the beginning. Yowza, I had no idea how this book, written before the Hollywood on-going scandal, would resonate with what's going on with HW and others from LaLa Land.

The book was written about the careers of Mary Pickford and Francis Marion. Pickford, a great actress who also had good decisions for movies and how to make them and Marion, who was one of the biggest female screenwriters to come out of Hollywood.

Their tale was very eye opening. These women were up and coming and the men in the industry did not like it and tried to do everything they could to push these women out. Especially, the smart ones.

Benjamin has delivered another great historical fiction read that I thoroughly enjoyed. I sped through this, for the most part. There were a few speed bumps, but for the most part, I found it very informative and entertaining.

Thanks to Random House/Ballantine and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.