debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

The Writing Desk - Rachel Hauck
I love Rachel Hauck's books and when I see one offered, I immediately push the "request button". However, this one, not so much. It was still a good read, but I just didn't feel the connection with the characters as much as I usually do when I read her books.

I did, however, love Birdie. Her ambition and heart had me rooting for her throughout the whole book while she went through the trials of her daily life. And, what a life! A woman who only wanted to write and to marry someone she loved. Her mother was dead set on that idea from the very beginning. She was determined, whether Birdie loved them or not, that Birdie would marry a man worthy of the union of marriage through wealth and prestige. In that sense, Birdie's mother only goal left in life was to insure that Birdie marry the man she had picked for her. A man who was a huge flirt and would undoubtedly cheat on her time after time. Birdie's story was absolutely a great one.

However, Tenley, the present day woman who had written a best selling novel and was having a very hard time with her second book was somewhat like her name. Tenley, for me, was tenous. A self-absorbed character who was always "woe is me". When in actuality, she had everything. Her constant whining was really grating one me. I even preferred Tenley's mother over Tenley. And Tenley's mother was portrayed more as self centered than Tenley. There were lots of times when I would wish that the book was going back in time to Birdie's life, one I liked reading about a lot more.

All in all, it was still a good read and I did enjoy doing so. Of course, this by no means indicates that I won't push that "request button" again because I know I will! Honestly, I can't wait for the next one!

Thanks to Thomas Nelson Fiction and Net Gallery for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.