debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

Two Nights: A Novel - Kathy Reichs

Temperance Brennan, usual protagonist of Kathy Reich's books, has stepped back behind the curtain making way for a new character, Sunny Night, and I like her. She is quite the smarta$$ and her comebacks, whether spoken or thought, are quite humorous. Of course, like all detectives, Sunny has her demons. She also has her weaknesses, coming from a struggle with a suspect, wherein she lost an eye as well as her job for shooting and killing that person while he was weaponless.

She is a very strange sort, living on an island that can only be reached by boat and with very few neighbors. She's not alone living there, however, she has her pet squirrel named Bob who looks after the place for her when she's gone.

This story deals with a cold case of a woman and her son being killed in a bombing right outside a school. The daughter of the woman is missing and has not been heard from for over a year. Sunny is hired by the girl's grandmother to find her and the assailants who were caught on CCTV, although very fuzzily.

The things that Sunny does while on this chase are somewhat severe in her avoidance of detection, however, that avoidance does not last long. The killers are on to her and after her.

A great read with lots of action and suspense. Kathy Reichs is one of my favorite authors and I love this new character that she has created. I hope to see lots more of her in the future.

Thanks to Simon & Schuster and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.