debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

A French Wedding: A Novel - Hannah Tunnicliffe
The blurbs compared this book to "The Big Chill" and that is exactly a correct statement. While I saw the movie, I just remember a bunch of friends getting together for a reunion, not much more.

In this story, a group of six friends (and their spouses/and or girlfriends and children) get together to celebrate Max's 40th birthday. It has been years since they have all been together and are able to pick up right where they left off. There is also another plot going on with Juliette (Max's chef, who also attends to the house while Max is gone and at home) whose life has changed drastically with the death of her parents coinciding so closely.

Some of the outliers (husbands and girlfriends), okay a husband of one of the main six is really quite the arse and I loved reading the ending and finding out his fate. :)

The story was well written and had me engrossed from the beginning. The characters really came to life for me and I enjoyed hanging out with them. While these six people have known each other for a long time, do they really KNOW each other? Lots of secrets, discussions and downright fist fights come about with this reunion, some good, some bad.

Huge thanks to Doubleday Books and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.

Special note: This was also the first time that I discovered that through Kindle you can not only get the translations for other languages, but you can actually hear them spoken. A new addition (for me) which truly added to my enjoyment!