debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

The Hidden Thread: A Novel - Liz Trenow

So many words come to me when I recall my thoughts about reading this book. Sadness, loneliness, greed, young love, snobbiness, gut wrenching, these are just some of the feelings I felt and things that happen in this story.

A young girl (Anna) is sent to live with her aunt and uncle in the big city of London. Her widowed father and young sister still live in the country where she longs to still reside. Anna's aunt and uncle own a silk business and are considered not among the most wealthy but well off.

This is around 1770 when the silk riots were threatening to begin. Young French immigrants were fleeing their country and coming to England to weave their wares and wanted to be pay fair wages. However many English silk sellers were bypassing these young Frenchmen and importing directly from France and buying cheaper without paying import taxes.

On Anna's first day, she meets Henri who is one of these young Frenchmen. Immediately, William, Anna's cousin, sees her talking to Henri and forbids her to engage in conversation with a "cabbage head" under any circumstance. Their story with the background of the silk riots is the basis of this book.

A wonderful read, one that I am glad that I requested and most grateful that I got to read. A story that was well told and one that I was sorry to part with at the end.

Huge thanks to Sourcebooks Landmark for approving my request and to Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest unbiased review.