debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

The Whole Thing Together - Ann Brashares

I liked this story a lot. When I requested this book, I didn't realize that the author had written the Traveling Pants books. I didn't read them, but I did see the movies. After I requested the book, was approved, sat down to read it, saw her earlier books, I was all set for a great read. I was not disappointed at all.

This was definitely a very dysfunctional family. Three daughters were born to Robert and Lila. One daughter was born to Robert and Evie. One son was born to Lila and Adam. Together Robert and Lila shared a beach house. They took turns weekly sharing this beach house. Sasha and Ray who shared the three sisters, but weren't related, also shared a bedroom. You got all that?

Robert and Lila did not divorce amicably. They fought over every little detail. When the switch came to change families at the beach house, there was a time lag to make sure they didn't see each other. Also Robert and Evie did not sleep in the same bedroom as Lila and Adam. They each had their own separate bedrooms. When the older three shared children graduated, the families made sure they were on opposite sides of the auditorium. Sasha and Ray were 17 years old and had never seen each other. That's how determined Robert and Lila were to keep the families separated.

That being said, this was a great book portraying a lot from the eyes of Ray and how he dealt with this life. A story of irrational and immature parents, tragedy, family dysfunctions and sibling love that I truly enjoyed and did not want to leave. I really felt for the characters especially the younger ones who were being denied sharing a bond just because they were not blood relatives.

This is a book that will stay with you long after finishing the last page and leave you wanting more.

Thanks to Random House Children's for approving my request and to Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest review.