debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

A Harvest of Thorns - Corban Addison

A garment factory way across the ocean in Bangladesh making clothes for a huge corporation in America catches fire and is pictured on CNN with one of it's workers lying on the ground. Covering her face is a pair of pants with the company's logo front and center displayed where the whole world can see it. Hundreds of people are killed in this fire. There is one exit to this building. Americans are protesting the company and demand something be done. Stocks go down. The Board of Directors are looking for someone to blame. It's not looking good for the company.

Soon thereafter, it is Black Friday, the company (one much like WalMart) has other non-clothing items on deep discounts. America storms their stores, buying is at a frenzy. All is forgotten. The company's shares rise back up. The Board of Directors is happy. Everyone is fine. The little girl with the pants on her face is almost blind, can't hear out of one ear and sleeps most of the day. She's about 15 years old and can't work for a living. She is just one of the workers that are part of the story in this book about the travesty of big companies using foreign workers.

The book focuses on one man (Cameron) who is high up in one of these companies and finds out just exactly what is going on in his company. Cameron brings it to the table of his CEO and is told that they made it over the bad news of the fire, he needs to let it go. Cameron brings in a journalist, Joshua.

Joshua gets involved. He finds more abuse. However, when he goes to Cameron, he doesn't seem to be on the same page he was before? Is Cameron the same Christian man he was before? Or has greed taken him over? Also, at the same time, Joshua has some issues of faith in his life going on.

This was a fantastic read. I read it all in one sitting. I could not put it down. I could not believe what was going on with these children, and yes, they were children. Apparently, if you read the back of the book, it is still going on. There are also places and organizations that you can reach out to if you are interested in getting involved in helping in any way.

A great read that I would definitely recommend.

Thanks to Harper Collins for sending me this book in hopes that I would read and review it.