debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

The Night the Lights Went Out - Karen White

I loved this story. Divorced, Merilee and her two children move to a new Atlanta suburb and is renting a coach house apartment from her landlord, Sugar Prescott. Sugar lives in the big house at the front of the property. Sugar is 97 and her family used to own most of the property around the county. It all having been sold off and developed over the years. So you might say that Sugar is pretty well known. Merilee is divorced because her husband decided that just having an affair with his daughter's third grade math teacher wasn't enough, he wanted more. At least that's what the town blog says. A blog that has just recently started up and keeps everyone informed as to what's going on much to the chagrin of everyone who's mentioned, including Merilee.

Merilee has put the children into a private school where most of the mother's are your typical tennis moms with their outfits, expensive cars, homes, etc. and their leader is named Heather. She makes sure all the mom's sign up for all the committees, etc. She latches onto Merilee on day one and says she's her private project and because Merilee is a working mom, she's going to help her.

Yes, you can tell that Heather is up to something, but your not sure exactly what she's up to. Just that it's something. Yes, I caught onto who Heather really was, but did that kill the ending for me? Not in the least.

Now Sugar is one of those women who like to play it up mean and not show her nice side. However, she just can't help herself with Merilee and her kids. She tells them stories about her life, bakes them sweets, babysits and becomes like their grandma. Merilee tells her stories and they are all like a little family looking out for each other. Sugar reminds me of my granny. Of course, it doesn't start out like that. Sugar is very gruff to begin with, always correcting, never smiling and actually kind of funny in her old ways.

I can't say anymore without spoilers. However, the ending - oh my. The suspense, it felt like my heart was going to come right out of my chest.

This was my first book by this author and I will definitely be looking to read more by Karen White. This book was amazing.

Thanks to Berkley Publishing for approving my request and to Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest review.