debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

Shallow End: A Stonechild and Rouleau Mystery - Brenda Chapman

This was my second book in this series and I am really liking it. This one dealt with a teacher, Jane, who just got out of jail for having had sexual relations with her 12 year old student, Devon Eton. She was sentenced to three years, but only served two as she pled guilty and they minimized her sentence. Of course, she was married and lost her husband and two children during this time, as well.

Either the day of or the day after, Jane, gets out of jail, the Devon Eton is found dead near the water, near his home. Of course, Jane is the main suspect. The boy's parents are rich and obnoxious and immediately want her put back in jail. They know Jane has done it and what are the police waiting for? When I say obnoxious, I mean disgustingly so. You know the type.

So just when Jane was going to get to see her kids, her ex-husband zips them off and says no way. He is, naturally, being a real pain about all of this. Of course, he already has a live-in girlfriend whom I think he had right about the time Jane went to jail. And she's a real treat, not.

Meanwhile, Stonechild, the police officer is having her own personal problems. One of her fellow officers, Wickless (change W to D) still can't stand the fact that a woman is better than him, so he is out to get her. Also her niece in foster care (put there thanks to Wickless) is having issues).

The chief is dealing with his wife's recent death due to cancer and Stonechild's partner is dealing with a wife he wants to divorce and she thinks their marriage can be saved. Actually she thinks that her husband will go running to Stonechild if she gives him up. Now she has cheated on her husband several times and will do so again. However, there is no one in the wings right now, but she can't stand the fact he will run to Stonechild. Oh yes, there is drama. And that's just the human emotional part of this book.

Then, we have the solving of the murder part of this case. And there are also a few surprises. And a HUGE jaw dropping ending. I myself quite like all of this going on and really like seeing the bad guys tripping over themselves, like the users getting hung out to dry. There was a lot of fist pumping going on in my house due to the outcomes. Yes, quite a few.

HUGE thanks to Dundurn for approving my request and to Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest review. There was a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for this reader.