debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

The Hope Chest: A Novel - Viola Shipman

I absolutely love Viola Shipman's books. After reading "The Charm Bracelet", I was hooked on this author. I was going on Net Galley like every other day plugging in "The Hope Chest" seeing if it was available after I found out that it was coming out. Every day, I was disappointed. Then one day, I got an e-mail telling me that since I had read the first book, would I like to read the second book. Hallelujah! Heck yeah! I hit that button so fast, my head was spinning. And just like the first, this one did not disappoint.

Like the first book, the charms on the bracelet brought out a story from the mother's past that she told her daughter. This one the items in Mattie's hope chest told a story that she relayed to her caregiver and her daughter. *TISSUES NEEDED* Mattie, once a world renown landscaper who had done so many world famous gardens for aristocrats, public gardens, presidents, movie stars, etc., has ALS. She has suffered from it for over 4 years. Don, her husband, can't really handle doing everything for anymore and has hired a caregiver, Rose. Rose has a young daughter, Jeri, who is seven years old and she is very mature and like an old soul for her age.

The story of how these come to meet, how the stories from the hope chest help them bond and how they become a family are so endearing. I just loved, loved, loved this book. And now, I wait to see what truly enchanting book the author has coming up next. I can't wait!

Thanks to St. Martin's Press for approving my request for this long awaited book and to Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest review.