debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley: A Novel - Hannah Tinti

A different and interesting book. The 12 lives refers to the bullet scars that Samuel Hawley has on his body and the book tells you how Samuel received those scars. Samuel and his friend, Jove, used to be what they called themselves "takers". That's what they did. They would get paid to take. It was something they did for many years starting when they were very young until one day Samuel met Lily. He still took some, but not as much. Then when Lily got pregnant with Loo, Samuel could see that his taking days were over.

The books goes back and forth between the scar stories and life with Lily and Loo. It's a great story and one that I really liked a lot. A family story with a lot of emotion, sadness, loneliness, death, bad guys, moving (literally) and just a really, really great story. I was really sad when the book ended. I had become attached to these characters and did not want to say goodbye.

Huge thanks to Random House for approving my request and to Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest review.