debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple - Jeff Guinn

I chose to read this book because I didn't really know a lot about the Peoples Temple. All I really knew was that they were a cult, they moved their family to Guyana, they killed Senator Leo Ryan and several media when they tried to interfere and 900 of men, women and children drank the kool-aid and died.

This book (I had no idea it was as long as it was) definitely was well researched. There was a lot of information included in this book. I am going to keep my personal opinions to myself regarding Jim Jones and his followers.

I do have to say that when I looked down at my Kindle and saw that the reading time was expected to be 16 hours, I was like "what?". Then there was one time when the book started naming people and they named like 10 people (not really the main people but others) and I thought if they are naming all 900, I'm skipping a lot of pages. However, the book did not do that.

I think for the most part, I found the book interesting. It was amazing that one man could get so many people to follow his lead. They knew his healing abilities were a joke.

This was a most informative book of Jim Jones and the Peoples Temple. I found it very interesting, very shocking and very sad.

Thanks to Simon & Schuster for approving my request and to Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest review.