debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

Last Chance Matinee (The Hudson Sisters Series) - Mariah Stewart

I loved this first book in a brand new series of the Hudson Sisters. The premise is pretty good. A man. Fritz, has a wife on the west coast who is a Hollywood star. However, she's somewhat the type to only think of herself. If something comes up she's the first one to think "what will this do for me?". He also has two daughters, Des and Allie, with this woman (Nora).

A few years after marrying this woman, he meets and marries another woman (Suza) who lives on the east coast. He has one daughter with her, Cara. Neither woman or the daughters know about the other family. He does have a sister, Barney, who knows about both families and his lawyer and good friend, Pete, who knows about both. This goes on for years with Fritz traveling back and forth with neither family catching on. Until Fritz gets cancer. Pete is begging him to tell them - both wives are dead, only the daughters live on. Fritz is too cowardly to do it. He makes Pete to do it.

Not only that, but Fritz has a surprise. He wants his daughters to get to know each other. Fritz grew up in a small town in Pennsylvania where his family established a small town and pretty much owned and built everything. One of those things included an old time art deco movie house that has been boarded up for many years. He wants his daughters to restore it. They will not get any inheritance until they do. They must live in the small town of Hidden Falls, get to know each other and restore the theater.

This is all easier said than done.

Naturally one of the sisters is a witch with a b and the movie house has set empty for about 90 years. That's just the start of their problems.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first book of this series and look forward to reading many more. I found the characters wonderfully developed and really wanted to spend more time with them and hopefully I will get to. The author did a great job setting up the premise and the town, as well as the characters and I am ready to become one with the Hudsons!

Thanks Gallery,Threshold, Pocket Books for approving my request and to Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest review.