debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

Bleaker House: Chasing My Novel to the End of the World - Nell Stevens

When I first saw this book and read the blurb, I was definitely questioning how a person could spend three months by themselves on a cold island in the Falklands and have something to write a book about. Then I kept seeing all the literary e-mails I get talking about it and how good it was, etc. So, I decided to request and, if approved, see for myself. Well, I was approved.

So, when it came time, I sat down and started reading the book. Not once did I tell myself this was boring, stupid or lame. I found myself enjoying it. It was actually interesting and entertaining. I didn't even want to put it down. As a matter of fact, when it was over, I still didn't want to put it down. Reading her counting her raisins and Ferro Roche candies and keeping watch over that potato. Knowing it was her saving grace if she did run out of her food. Reading about how many layers of clothes she had on that day. I know I can't write with as much interest as she did, but somehow, she made it work. She also had a couple of fiction short stories weaved in that she working on in real life while she was there. She never did finish them, grrr. Ha!!

I can't really tell you how the author made it work, but work it did. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and would certainly recommend it.

Thanks to Doubleday Books for approving my request and to Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest review.