debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

The Trophy Child: A Novel - Paula Daly

Wow, I wish Karen was my mother, not. This woman, Karen, expected 200% out of all the children. The family was made up of Ewan, her son from another marriage, Verity, her new husband's son from another marriage and Bronte, the daughter from her current marriage. Since she couldn't rule Ewan and Verity as much as she would like, Bronte got the biggest brunt of her tiger mother attitude.

Bronte had so many activities going it was crazy. Not only did she have to excel at one musical instrument, she had to play horn and piano. She also had to take dance lessons as well several other extra curricular activities. She also has her regular school activities as well. Bronte is 10 years old.

When Karen ends up missing, her car found half burnt on the side of the road with the keys and her purse inside the car, her body missing. Eventually they find her body in the lake. The list of suspects is long. The atmosphere in the house is one of relief, like one big breath, a huge boulder has been lifted from their chests.

I would like to say that this book was entertaining and enjoyable. However, there was a lot of sympathy on my part for these poor children, especially Bronte. However, I was mesmerized and shocked, it was like a trainwreck, instead of looking, I couldn't stop reading. So, I guess since the author was writing a thriller, then because I couldn't put it down, the author did a great job!

Huge thanks to Grove Atlantic for approving my request and to Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest review.