debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett - Chelsea Sedoti I loved this book. I think this is the one of the best YA books that I've ever read. It dealt with a high school girl trying so hard to figure out why she was so different from everybody else, not realizing that everyone else was having the same serious issues. Her name is Hawthorne, so she spends a lot of time being teased for that. She's never had a boyfriend. She eats lunch with her best friend, Emily who is also a social outcast, in the stairwell where they can't be seen. She also has this serious girl crush on Lizzie Lovett. She hates her, she likes her, she wants to be her. One day Lizzie talks to her while they are alone in the locker room and she goes home thinking they are going to be best friends. The next time she sees Lizzie, she is with her friends. Hawthorne goes by and says hi. Everyone glares at her and says "who's that?" Hawthorne is crushed. Several years later, Lizzie Lovett disappears. She's camping with her boyfriend in the woods. He wakes up the next morning to find her gone. Hawthorne doesn't know how to feel. She hates her, she likes her, she still wants to be her. The author did a great job with Hawthorne's character. And she did it without making Hawthorne seem like a spoiled brat, or a woe is me teenager or why does she get everything all the time on and on. I think she actually hit on a lot of the inadequate emotions most people feel when they are growing up or ones that some people still feel when they are older. I just loved this book and think every YA should read it, especially females. I definitely think it would help their self-esteem to see that it's just not them going through a lot of Hawthorne's anxieties. Huge thanks to Sourcebook Fire for approving my request and to Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest review.