debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

Victoria: The Queen: An Intimate Biography of the Woman Who Ruled an Empire - Julia Baird

After I read Daisy Goodwin's book about Queen Victoria, it only told the very early part of her reign. So when I saw this book offered, I hit the button and requested it as it seemed to tell more about her life and I was intrigued. I didn't think to look at the number of pages.

However, while it is 706 pages long, I do feel as though I have learned a lot about Victoria's reign. I have to say, there were good and bad parts about it. While the early part of her reign was very good for her, the loss of her love Albert, really did a number on her. To see love like that is something you only see in fairy tales. Of course, that's just Victoria's side. She did seem kind of clingy.

It was great, however, to read this and get a glimpse back at that part of history which I am truly fascinated about. I know that the author did a humongous amount of research to write this book and it shows. There was a lot of name dropping going on and that was very interesting. Seeing how old some of the future leaders and newsmakers were during her reign were very interesting. I can see where some of Hitler's ideas got their start from Victoria's grandson who certainly had a huge chip on his shoulder.

One thing really stuck with me was the fact that Victoria was watching her army going to meet the battleships for the Crimea War and she was amazed to see that none of them were drunk. What a different world that was back then. Of course, her predecessor seemed to always be drunk. Definitely a different world.

While this book didn't spend as much time on her mother and John Conroy and their treatment of her during her early years, I think it helped me to have read it first. It gave me some insight as to where Victoria got a lot of her gumption and fear of loneliness. Great story and I'm really glad I got to read it. While long, I learned a lot.

Huge thanks to Random House for approving my request and to Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest review.