debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

Ray & Joan: The Man Who Made the McDonald's Fortune and the Woman Who Gave It All Away - Lisa Napoli
This was quite an interesting book. I learned a lot that I did not know. I knew that Ray Kroc had bought out the brothers and started McDonald's, but I didn't know exactly how it happened. I'm still not sure why the brothers were so mad at Ray. I don't think McDonald's would be the company it is today without him.

As for the book, like I said it was pretty interesting at first. Towards the end, it started becoming a little tedious when it started talking about Joan giving away all the money. There was one part where she gave a lot of money to a town that had been severely flooded. She gave the money anonymously, yet several days later she shows up in her private jet. Surprise, then the townspeople knew where the money had come from. She did do a lot of good for a lot of people, however.

Together the couple knew a lot of famous people. And it sounds like their marriage was certainly not always a blast as Ray did like his Early Times. When I read about all the jewels Joan had, that was just crazy.

I like to read books about the inside lives of famous people and this one definitely told a lot. There were a lot of things that were alleged and a lot of things that were told. Ray Kroc was definitely a businessman and that was his life. The book may have things out, but there were a lot of things that were not held back. It was a very interesting read. It amazed me that when Ray divorced his first two wives, he had someone else tell them he wanted a divorce. That part just blew me away. Especially the way he handled it with his second wife. You'll have to read the book and check that one out.

I would like to think Penguin Group Dutton for approving my request and letting me see into the lives of Ray and Joan and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest review.