debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

Victoria: A Novel from the Creator/Writer of the Masterpiece Presentation on PBS - Daisy Goodwin

Of course, I didn't really know a lot about Queen Victoria, but I knew of her. This book, using her diaries, was very interesting. A Queen at the age of 18. She was brought up by her mother as her father died when she was very young. Her mother had a personal secretary whose only interest was to influence Victoria and to gain power over her. His ways and means are secretly shown throughout the book. His cover is blown when Victoria announces in front of her mother (who thinks she's there for her) what he's really after. I LOVED that part.

Victoria, while still young, was able to see people as they really were and if not, she had Lord Melbourne to help her.

This was such an interesting story and a great read. While it only encompasses her life from about 16 years of age to a little over 19, it tells a lot about the strengths and integrity of the Queen.

Apparently this book was written and there is a PBS movie, I'm not sure which came first the book or the screenplay, but I would definitely love to see the movie.

I was mesmerized by this book. I am always interested in reading about the true lives and behind the scenes of important people. This was well written and certainly held my attention.

A huge thanks to St. Martin's Press for approving my request and to Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest review.