debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

Leave Me: A Novel - Gayle Forman

I could really relate to this character a LOT! I remember when I had my first child and my husband stayed home from work to "help". He spent his time in the garage. This was 1980, I had to get up out of bed, pass the nursery, the living room, the dining room, the kitchen, go into the backyard to the garage and ask for his help. It was easier to do it myself. Which I did.

I really felt for this woman. She had a heart attack. Then she had a stent put in. Then she had to have open heart surgery. Then she was allowed to go home.

She had her husband, who was no help. Her husband called her mother to come over and help. She helped some. However, when Maribeth did get out of bed, all she saw was dirty dishes and laundry everywhere. The kids (kindergarden age) would come running in and jump on her and no one would help the poor woman. How is that resting? They would want books read at bedtime and no one would step up and say "mom's resting, let me do that". Nope it was all up to mom. I was really disappointed with the grandmother.

It's no wonder Maribeth did what she did. Oh to be Maribeth for a day, a week, or even a month. It's every mother's dream.

This was a great fantasy book, because none of us would ever do it. How would it look? We are women, we are mothers, we are strong. BS. I loved this story and I would gladly parade up and down the street holding a sign saying "Yay for Maribeth!". Don't know what I'm talking about? Then you definitely need to get this book and live the fantasy at least as long as it takes to read the book, especially if your a working mom with children. Or, if like Maribeth, you've had a serious illness or operation. It will make you smile.

Thanks Algonquin Books and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley and great entertainment in exchange for an honest review.