debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

Darktown: A Novel - Thomas Mullen

What a great book. This truly showed the emotions, the bigotry, the racism and the lack of education of our country during this era. And it showed it in such a personal way. These characters actually came to life and you could feel those police officers fear. What a scam. Call them officers, dress them up and give them no rights to be officers. They couldn't drink on or off duty, couldn't visit the whore houses off duty (only on duty if duty called), yet the white officers could do it all. They couldn't even pull over a white person or arrest a white person. Even when they saw one run into a light pole.

This was a very tense and powerful book and one that I could not put down. I just could not believe the things that were going on and this wasn't in a podunk town. This was big city Atlanta.

There were layers of corruptness going on in this book and villains were everywhere you looked. I absolutely enjoyed reading this book (not the subject) but it did bring to light a sordid history that I'm sure a lot of people would like to keep hidden.

Huge thanks to Atria Books for approving my request to read and review this book and to Net Galley for providing the e-galley in exchange for an honest review. Definitely recommend it!