debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

Britt-Marie Was Here: A Novel - Fredrik Backman

#BRITTMARIEWASHERE AVAILABLE 5/3/16 5 STARS DEFINITELY ONE NOT TO MISS!  FREDRIK BACKMAN IS THE BOMB @atriabooks

Fredrik Backman is rapidly becoming one of my new favorite authors. I love his characters! And I loved this book! Britt Marie has spent however many years being servant to her husband only to find out that he had been cheating on her. He was always downgrading her and pretty much verbally abusing her. In her mind, her life was to be there for Kent. To like everything Kent liked and to do everything for Kent. Blah, blah, blah.
Until one day she smells perfume on his work shirt. Britt Marie doesn’t wear perfume. So she leaves him. Britt Marie is a little naïve about the world as a whole and starts off on her journey making life miserable for a job recruiter. Some of the things she does to this woman is actually downright hilarious.
She gets a job as the caretaker of a recreation center in a town that has more houses for sale than actual people. Most of the stores have closed down due to the financial downfall. The grocery store next door to the recreation center is also the pizzeria, and the coffee shop all run by one person. Britt Marie becomes entangled into the lives of the people of Borg and she starts to find herself. I’m not going to tell you everything, but I will say that I loved how everyone treated Britt Marie after they go to know her and how she turned herself around. She makes some great friends and does some great things for the community.
Britt Marie Was Here was a truly enjoyable read and I stayed up past my bedtime thoroughly engaged. Mr. Backman writes great stories with truly memorable characters that you will not forget. If you haven’t read him, you should definitely give him a chance. I know you will be glad you did.
Thanks to Atria Books and Net Galley for allowing me the pleasure of reading and review this unique little book that I loved!