debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

Only Love Can Break Your Heart - Ed Tarkington

4 Stars!  #OnlyLoveCanBreakYourHeart  Available 1/5/16  @AlgonquinBooks  @EdTarkington

This was kind of slow at first and then really picked up. I felt that I had really established a relationship with the characters and was really getting to know them after a short while. The story was really nothing special but the way the author wrote about the characters and how they did or did not relate with each other was the premise for me. It took place in a small town in the 1970's. It's not really about any one thing, but there is a lot going on in this book.

I guess it's just hard to explain. Once I got into it, I just couldn't put it down. You wanted to know about all the oddballs of this small town, even though their lives weren't anything to write home about. The author made you care about them. I enjoyed reading the book and found it very entertaining, if not sad in parts. Part of the book deals with coming of age by the narrator and there is a mystery at the end.

I would like thank Algonquin Books and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest review and for an entertaining read.