debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

My Name Is Lucy Barton: A Novel - Elizabeth Strout

5 Stars!  #MyNameisLucyBarton Available 1/12/16  @LizStrout  @randomhouse

This book really touched me in the fact that it really hit home for me. I have experienced a lot the same relationships and feelings that the author wrote about for Lucy Barton. There were times I really wanted to go off to a closet or somewhere where no one could see me reading it or the looks on my face. I thought I had left all that behind and there it was right there in front of me. While, of course, everything wasn't exactly the same, I could relate to a lot of it.

I'm not sure how I would review this book for others. I'm sure there are a lot of us out there that grew up poor in a family that didn't show a lot of love. For them, it may be satisfying to know your not alone or it may bring back memories you don't really want to remember. For me, it was satisfying. I think the author did a great job in conveying Lucy's background with just hints, not a lot of descriptions. It wasn't a woe is me book at all. Actually other people could probably read this book and get an entirely different view. That's just how good the writing was. It would touch on something and go away, leaving the reader to add your own ideas and opinions.

I think the book was very well written and I truly believed Lucy Barton was a real person writing her own memoir. I read it pretty quickly and was surprised to find it was only around 200 pages as I got a lot more out of it than that.

I would like to thank Random House and Net Galley for providing me with this free e-galley in exchange for an honest review. I thoroughly enjoyed this one!