debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

Brooklyn Secrets: An Erica Donato Mystery (Erica Donato Mysteries) - Triss Stein

4 Stars!  #Brooklyn Secrets  @PPPpress  Triss Stein

Apparently this was the third in a series, but I couldn't tell it. I didn't even know it until I went to write this review. So, if you haven't read Triss Stein before, like me, this book should be no problem.

Erica Donato is writing her dissertation on the 1930's in Brooklyn when Murder's, Inc. ran the show. While researching, she becomes friends with a lovely teenage named Savanna who works at the library in Brooklyn who reminds her of her own. Several days later, Savanna is severely beaten and hanging on to her life. Erica's own research puts her somewhat in the middle of the people who hurt Savanna and she is determined to help Savanna's mother find out who did this to her daughter.

This was one that I could not put down. Just about every time Erica went researching into Brooklyn something would happen. I mean she was the only white person within miles. That is what made it suspenseful. It seemed that there were always gangs or someone messing with her every time. Then when news got out about her messing around into their business, they were threatening her.

Then it seemed like several people who actually did come out and talk to Erica would end up dead or in trouble.

There was a lot of history with the mob in this part of the city and one could not be sure that it still wasn't going on.

Even the historical parts of the city that had once been were interesting, because that happens with every city. The old soda stand is now a 7/11, etc.

I most assuredly enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it. Violence is only mentioned. I know that I am going to be looking for Triss' other books and catch up on what I missed.

Thanks Poisoned Pen Press and Net Galley for providing me with this free e-galley in exchange for an honest review.