debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

The Things We Keep - Sally Hepworth

4.5 stars!  #TheThingsWeKeep  @SallyHepworth  @StMartinsPress
What a heartbreaking and poignant book this was. It's about dementia. What it does to the person, the immediate family, the surrounding family and the caretakers. It's also about greed and suicide and what it does to the loved ones that are left. It's also about people looking in and seeing what they think they see and only seeing the ugly side and making sure that the ugly side is brought out into the open. It's also about people making themselves feel better in the shadow of other's failings and making sure those failings are also told. And it's about children raising children who do these things.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It was very sad what happened to Luke and Anna that brought them together. I loved Anna's forget it attitude and the fact that she was not going to feel sorry for herself. I also thought Eve was a very strong character to put her daughter back in the same school and to deal with those hoity toity women and their gossiping. She had to know that was coming. They were not her real friends. And the way she told off Miranda's mother verbally instead of just punching and punching her. I would have had to had my hands tied to do that.

There were so many good things about this book. Too many to list in this review. You are just going to have to go out and get this book and see for yourself. Oh and Eric and that shiny new car? Where's the center of town and a bunch of rocks - let's tie him up and start throwing. Believe me you will have good and bad feelings from the people in this book. Of course, they are only human and basically your typical humans.

I say kudos to Sally Hepworth for a job well done and I totally recommend this book!!

Huge thanks to St. Martin's Press and Net Galley for a free e-galley in exchange for an honest review.