debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

The Marauders: A Novel - Tom Cooper

5 Stars!  #TheMarauders  @CrownPublishing  @TomCooperNOLA

I really enjoyed reading this book. It was a different kind of book for me. It's about small town people who have suffered emotionally and physically through Katrina and are now suffering economically via their livelihoods through the BP oil spill. So, it's really about the people. The author has portrayed an in depth picture of several of the characters who were affected. You really get to know these people and feel for them. Some you like and some you don't. Some you just shake your head at and wonder how the heck they actually got so far in life. You kind of feel for them at the same time. I had no idea shrimping was such a hard job. So I learned a little something about that reading this book. Those guys driving down the highway with garbage bags full of marijuana in the back of their truck for everyone to see? I was pretty sure those two were headed for no good. They might as well had a banner "weed for sale".

The author has done such a good job with the descriptions that there were times I thought I could actually smell the stench of dead fish and all the smells associated with being in a marina.

I had heard a lot of good things about this book and I was glad that I was able to get a copy of it and read it. I would definitely recommend this to just about anyone. It's a story of humans and I think everyone would be interested in that.

Huge thanks to Crown Publishing and Net Galley for a free e-galley in exchange for an honest review.