debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

The Witch of Lime Street: Seance, Seduction, and Houdini in the Spirit World - David Jaher

3.5 stars #TheWitchofLimeStreet  @CrownPublishing David Jaher
Wow, who would have thought Houdini would have had time to practice all of his tricks with all the time he was spending trying to show that Margery was not a medium?

I had never heard about any of this. That there was a contest set up by a science magazine to find a "real" medium and the monies that were spent to discover one. How Houdini would denounce every one that they brought forward. Then how when they brought forth Margery how he went on a one man crusade to denounce her abilities.

It was pretty strange. Also the fact that Sir Arthur Canon Doyle got involved. He gave up writing Sherlock and got involved in this crap.

Anyways, on to the book. I thought the book was interesting. However, I also thought the book was VERY long. It was easy read, but not so easy to keep up with all the names. There were a lot of them and if you were to quiz me on them, I'd flunk. Parts of the book were very interesting, parts of it were not and parts of it were just kinda gross. I had to keep reading though to find out, was she a hoax? It always bothered me though that she mostly did the same thing over and over and her brother was the only one that showed up. I didn't like the way Houdini was treating her, but when I looked at his pictures, he looked like a little weasel anyway.

Anyway, if your into seances and the spiritual world and history itself, this is definitley something I had never heard of and will definitely give you one up in the trivia games.

Thanks Crown Publishing and Net Galley for this free e-galley in exchange for an honest review.