debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

Fashion Victims: The Dangers of Dress Past and Present - Alison Matthews-David

4 stars!  #FashionVictim @Alison_Matthews @BloomsburyAcad

Yeah I'm a geek too. Don't play trivia with me.

I found this book to be very interesting and informative. I found out a lot of things that I did not know. Some things I was aware of and some not. It is silly when you think back over the years and some of the fashion trends that have been around. And, it's really sad to find out that for the past 25 years I have been putting poison into my body by dying my hair. However, with the alternative being gray roots, you won't see me changing that routine.

I love to read books from Victorian London and it always cracks me up how those women can walk around all primpy like with no roads, sometimes no sidewalks and even if there is, they are dirty, and they are walking in horse and human crap and urine, vomit, rotten vegetables, garbage and just who knows what in their dresses down to their ankles scrapping through all that crap. Gross.

Okay, the public service announcement is over, back to the book. I learned a lot of things that I did not know. I had heard of Isadora Duncan but I had not heard of the way that she left this world. That was sad. And I did not hear about how Henry Wadsworth Longfellow lost his wife. I had never heard of the hubble skirt and can't feel sorry for the women with the three foot wigs. I just say "why?". The green makes sense to me. You never really see a lot of green out in the stores. I have noticed that. I didn't know that the problem is still an existing one and that such high end retailers still are involved.

Anyhow, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and found it to be very interesting, while learning quite a lot of new facts. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in learning more about the history of the fashion industry or the evolution of poisons that have affected the fashion and other industries.

I would like to thank Bloomsbury Academic and Net Galley for providing me with this free e-galley in exchange for an honest review. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book!