debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

Kitchens of the Great Midwest - J. Ryan Stradal

For the longest time, I kept ignoring this book when looking to fill my reader on Net Galley. I thought it was a cookbook. Then one day, I read the blurb, then the next day I started seeing all the reviews. I thought, I need to check this out. Boy, am I glad that I did.

This was such a good story about a girl who has a chef for a father until he dies when she is ten months old. She had already been abandoned by her mother months earlier. Her name was Eva. Her father was a chef and he was truly into all the tastes, manners and different approaches to cooking. Eva grew up with this trait.

I loved the part when she was growing peppers in her closet. That was pretty good.

Anyways, the story is about Eva and the people around her. Sometimes it took a moment to realize who was this person and how did they fit into Eva's life, but the author gave enough hints that you figured it out.

It's a story about normal people who really didn't have much, but family. On Eva's side, it was also a story about food and the love of cooking. I don't think you have to be a chef to enjoy this book. You could just tell how much love Eva and her father put into their cooking. So, it had all human emotions as well as stories of good fortune and bad fortune, life and death and love.

I truly loved this book!! It was very well written and was such an enjoyable journey. I'm so glad that I finally read the blurbs and the reviews and requested this book. I was really glad when Penguin Group and Net Galley approved me to read and review this book. I highly recommend it for everyone!