debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

The Marriage of Opposites - Alice Hoffman

I have to admit I had never heard of Pissaro, but he did hang with some artists I had heard of.

Anyhow, I went into this open minded as I hadn't read the author or heard of the artist. And I found it to be an absolutely enjoyable and entertaining story. There are lots of things going on in this story and the author did a great job keeping them separate and introducing them. There were a couple of jaw dropping moments, several chuckles, a couple of tears, some mild anger and a lot of smiles for me while reading this. While the blurbs talk a lot about the painter, he isn't even born until more than halfway through the book. There's a lot about his mother and living on a island with not a lot of people. She is a strong woman who should have been a son with her ways of thinking during this time period. She is not well liked and keeps the gossip mongers busy. She breaks a lot of rules and I admire her stamina. She is definitely someone you don't want to cross!

While I have heard of the author, this is my first book by her. It won't be my last. And I definitely recommend this book.

Thanks to Simon and Schuster and Net Galley for providing me with this free e-galley in exchange for an honest review. It was great entertainment on a lazy Saturday!!