debbiekrenzer

debbiekrenzer

Rage Against the Dying: A Thriller - Becky Masterman

A VERY good debut novel. I especially liked that the main kickass character was an older woman. Some parts were a little slow but for the most part a wild ride with a serial killer anxious to find stand ins to take his fall.

Immediately engaging, this book really surpassed my expectations. Masterman’s debut novel was a strong one. Brigid Quinn, 59 and retired from the FBI made for an older (but no wiser) narrator for the genre. The case that consumed her for years - a serial killer dubbed the Route 66 Killer - drew to a close and quickly pulled Quinn into a more active role closing the case once and for all. Quinn’s narration, full of hard edges and bad decisions felt surprisingly fresh. It gave the book a very new feeling - which was all the more impressive considering the plot’s serious nod to The Silence of the Lambs. And though Masterman acknowledged the movie-version in the beginning of the book, its influence felt quite evident. Accordingly, some elements of the plot fell into rather predictable lines. And though Quinn’s choices felt rather inauthentic for someone of her background, she somehow maintained an overall vibe with an intriguing and genuine edge. She was an interesting narrator, and despite some plot holes, I had a lot of fun reading this. I look forward to seeing if Masterman will write a follow-up novel as a direct sequel or feature an entirely new cast of characters.